CPRE Kent, working together with CPRE Essex, has produced a policy statement on the Lower Thames Crossing. We are calling for a wider, more resilient solution, including investment in ports north of the Thames to disperse the cross channel movement of freight.
We believe better operation of the existing Thames crossings within a sustainable transport strategy would:
- Be free from congestion
- Have acceptably low air pollution levels
- Be part of a dispersed strategic transport network and channel crossing system, resilient to economic, security and weather issues
- Reduce the number of loaded trucks parking up overnight and at weekends on local roads
- Offer a partnership with fleet managers for an end to unsocial working conditions for drivers
- Promote more diversion to rail and unaccompanied trailer operations
- Herald the beginning of a lower impact future for transport through Kent and Essex
To read the full policy statement click here.
December 15th 2015